Vodka is one of the least used spirits in our cabinet, but each time we add it to a mixed drink, we remember how seamlessly it blends with other flavors.
We whipped up this concoction on a late spring evening using St. Germain, an elderflower liquor that is a mix of sweet, floral and tart flavors. In the bartending world, St. Germain is known as the ketchup of bartending because it makes everything taste delicious. And the addition of ripe strawberries and refreshing mint make this cocktail taste even more delicious.
Elderflower and mint strawberry smash
- 2 oz vodka (we like Ketel One)
- .75 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- .5 oz St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur (substitute with St. Elder)
- .25 oz agave
- 2 medium or large-sized strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3 mint springs (reserve 1 for garnish)
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the strawberries,agave and 2 mint sprigs (or about 6-8 leaves).
- Pour the vodka, St. Germain and lemon into the cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously and strain into a rocks glass filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a strawberry slice and mint sprig or leaves.