While on a trip to Vancouver last summer, we stopped in at a bar called Royal Dinette. We ordered up daiquiris off the menu and after taking a sip, realized they were the best daiquiris – if not cocktails – we had ever had. It turned out we were in the presence of bartender greatness: Kaitlyn Stewart, awarded World Class Bartender of the Year, was mixing up our drinks. From there on out, we started following her on social media, including her YouTube channel.
After watching her mix up a blackberry bramble, we created our own spin by adding herbaceous basil and replacing simple syrup with agave. It turned out to be a refreshing and flavorful cocktail that we intend to make a big batch of this summer!
Basil blackberry bramble
- 2 oz gin
- 1 oz lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- ¼ oz agave syrup (or about .15 oz if you prefer your drinks on the less sweet side)
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 7 blackberries (4 for muddling; 3 for garnish)
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle basil leaves, 4 blackberries and agave. Meanwhile, skewer the remaining blackberries onto a cocktail pick.
- Add ice, gin and lemon juice to cocktail shaker. Shake aggressively so that the liquid takes in the flavor (and color!) of muddled blackberry and basil.
- Pour through a fine strainer into a rocks glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with skewered blackberries.